Breaking Barriers. Gender Equality for Political Wins.
January 25 @ 5:30 pm - 8:00 pm
The recent November elections showed us that there is a progressive wave sweeping the nation: women, people of color, and LGBTQIA candidates won a series of historic races at the polls, shattering glass ceilings in the process. These victories prove that the political climate is primed to welcome new voices.
Yet in 2017, women hold only 19.6% of the seats in Congress, and represent only 25% of the state legislatures. As the #metoo movement has highlighted, there are still barriers in place that women face on a daily basis – in their homes, in their careers, and in politics.
How do we change this? How do we accelerate the process of getting more women into political power? From school boards and city councils, to federal executives and volunteering for campaigns, we need women’s voices and leadership to achieve true representation.
Join us for a facilitated workshop where we will:
• Identify the barriers we need to remove, and explore how we can do that.
• Leverage the national momentum to elevate more local women into positions of power.
• Connect with local leaders and groups to take immediate action.
– 5:30 – 6:00 Social Time: Enjoy locally crafted beer from 7 Sisters Brewery, custom brewed for this event! We’ll also have food available for purchase from the Javed Kabab Paradise Food Truck!
– 6:00 – 6:30 Welcome & Speaker: details to follow
– 6:30 – 7:30 Facilitated Workshop
– 7:30 – 8:00 Toolkit: How can we take what we learned tonight and translate it into direct action that will help us get closer to 50/50? Whether you prefer walking precincts, phone banking, volunteering for a campaign, or are considering running for office yourself, everyone will leave with a Take Action Toolkit that will include dozens of ways YOU can get involved!