October Meeting – Fracking & Housing
October 26 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
5:30pm food & drink for sale
6pm – 8pm meeting
– Welcome & quick club business update.
– Puerto Rico: Local business owner and Puerto Rico native Grisel Puig-Snider will let us know how we can help with hurricane relief efforts and explain the urgency of the situation.
– Housing Crisis: Hear from Julia Ogden from Habitat for Humanity about ways to combat our local housing crisis and the importance of our “inclusionary housing ordinance” (which is now at risk by the Board of Supervisors).
– Oil Money Out! Jeanne Blackwell will present a new effort to get elected officials and candidates to sign the pledge: “I pledge to not take contributions from the oil, gas, and coal industry and instead prioritize the health of our families, climate, and democracy over fossil fuel industry profits.” We’ve invited many elected officials to join us and we’ll ask them to sign the pledge during the meeting.
– Special Guest Speakers: Mary & Andy Hsia-Coron, 2 leading activists who were instrumental in successfully passing Measure Z, a ballot measure to ban fracking in Monterey County. Hear how they won this hard fought battle despite millions of dollars of oil industry and how we can do it here in SLO County.
*Also please note that due to Thanksgiving our November meeting will be on November 16th (6pm). Join us for a Progressive Friendsgiving Dinner!